Culture influences health behavior and when major differences exist between a patient’s and provider’s cultural framework for illness, a host of adverse outcomes may result. This badge introduces students to the concepts of health and health care disparity and the importance of learning how individuals define, react to, and treat illness and other health risks.
Upon completion of this badge, students will be able to:
- Describe the concept of culture and its impact on disparate health outcomes
- Recognize different conceptual frameworks for understanding health and illness
- Identify factors that influence health care practice and delivery
- Illustrate ways to improve service delivery through culturally-responsive care for diverse populations
- Assess the importance of culturally-informed care as a professional responsibility