- This event has passed.
Control and Prevention Strategies in Epidemics
June 22, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
How do we get to the end of the outbreak? Learn how to monitor and follow outbreaks once control measures are in place.
About this Webinar
For all outbreaks, the notion is to “break the chain” and to break it in as many places as possible. These processes have to balance civic liberty, community motivation and ownership, as well as economic stability. We will look at both nonpharmaceutical interventions for pandemic control, including physical distancing and contact tracing, and the promise of vaccination and case management tools, such as drugs, that influence the course and outcome. We will discuss monitoring and following outbreaks to assess the adequacy of control measures and the trade-offs, and use stories from Ebola, COVID-19 and other outbreaks to illustrate these concepts.
What you’ll learn
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe purpose of outbreak response.
- Describe factors that influence the decision to implement control measures.
- Describe common response and control measures used during outbreaks and emergencies.
- Define appropriate interventions for different modes of transmission.
- Discuss the importance of monitoring the effectiveness of outbreak response.
- Name 2 indicators to monitor the effectiveness of outbreak response.
Learn more and enroll here.
Acknowledgement: This project is/was supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under grant number UB6HP31685 “Regional Public Health Training Center Program.” This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.